February 15, 2011

evaluation question six

EVALUATION QUESTION 6
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
I am now going to look at what I have learnt during the process of creating this product.

When i began this task back in November, i had very little knowledge of creating a magazine, and what made a good photo or magazine. However, throughout this task i learnt how to use new software, whilst also learning "what made a good magazine".





When i was first asked to take some photos for my media, i did not know what to expect from my results. I knew what i wanted them to look like, however i had no idea how they would turn out. To begin with i used an average digital camera, similar to the one on the right. However, i soon realised that if i wanted to take good quality photos, i would have to use a camera with greater pixels, and a larger lens. As the photos produced using this camera, were not of my best ability.



With this in mind, i then used the Canon SLR camera instead, which gave me much better quality images, whilst also allowing for me to change the settings and quality of my images. However, at first i found it very difficult to use, as it had many different settings, and options, although after playing around with it for a while and trying out different settings, i soon got used to it.






I also had a similar difficulty with the software which i was using, as i was personally used to using windows 7 on a Dell laptop, which i have at home, where as when creating the music magazine, i needed to use a Mac similar to the one shown below. However after learning how to use the keyboard, mouse, and where everything was on the Mac such as Internet, i was soon able to use the Mac.







Similarly the use of software, was also difficult to learn how to use at first however, after using a photo shop tutorial on photo shop, i soon became familiar with the tools and the effects which are available. I had never used these tools or software before, however once i had learnt how to use them i found them extremely useful.





-In photo shop i learnt how to use the magic tool, which allowed for me to cut out and around my images, in order to exclude parts of my photographs. At first this tool was difficult to use, however, once i had learnt how to maintain a steady hand,i soon found it easy to use. I soon began to use this tool for all my images, as it allowed for me to edit the image to how I wanted it to look. I chose to use this tool, as it is commonly used in the magazine industry, to cut out an unwanted background or part of an image.

-I also used the patch tool, which allowed for me to abolish the spots, blemishes, and freckles which occurred on the face of the model, and appeared in the photograph. This allowed for me to make the magazine seem much more logistic as this tool is commonly used my magazine editors, in order to make their models look their best for the magazine. I found this tool a great way of perfecting my work, and making it look as logistic as possible.



-Similarly, the use of the brightness and contrast tool, was extremely useful in making my photographs look their best, and look professional. I used this tool throughout the creation of the music magazine, as it was a great help in maintaining a professional look on the magazine.

When creating the double page spread i chose to use In Design as it allowed for me to place an image, and the text would automatically wrap around it, saving me a lot of time. In order to do this i used the text wrap tool. Using this tool saved me a lot of time, and was quick and easy to do. Once the text had been entered all i needed to do was select the image and select text wrap, and the the text would automatically wrap itself around the image. This made the double page spread look very logistic.


I chose to use this software, as it is commonly used by professional magazine editors and publishers. Instantly, i found this software easy to use, as it is very similar to photo shop.

FireFox, was used throughout, to gather information about other music magazines, as well as research. However most importantly, i used FireFox to use Blogger and document by progress throughout creating this magazine.

Finally, i used the grab tool, in order to document my progress on blogger. This tool allowed for me to grab certain parts of my work, instead of the whole thing within seconds. It was quick and easy to do, and very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment